Who We Are
"The Positive Place For Kids"
• The Boys & Girls Club of El Sobrante was established 1958 as a Boys Club when a group of parents, concerned about the lack of facilities and activities for boys in the neighborhood pioneered the movement. In 1998, the Girls Club, previously a separate organization located in the building next door, joined the Boys club to create the Boys & Girls Club of El Sobrante we know today.
• The first building was a small building in the far corner of the Club's current location that was surrounded by a slot car track. In the early 70's the community decided it needed a bigger club and in 1972 they broke ground to build a new 10,000 sq. ft. structure that we still use today. Parents and friends of the club built the building on nights and weekends until it was completed on September 30, 1978.
• Our goal is to continue to expand the quality after-school program we offer and to increase our capacity to serve youth. On average we work with over 1,700 children a year through our flag football, basketball, after-school, summer and community programs. We purposely keep dues low ($25 for the school year) so any boy or girl can afford to join, and if they cannot afford the dues we provide a scholarship program for them.
• Members participate in a variety of programs within the five core areas of Arts; Education & Career Development; Sports, Fitness & Recreation; Health & Life Skills; and Character & Leadership Development. We are affiliated with the Boys & Girls Club of America (BGCA). The programs that we run have been tested by over 4,000 clubs representing 4.1 million children and are proven to work.
• We serve children (ages 7-18) from West Contra Costa, including El Sobrante, and its surrounding cities of Richmond, El Cerrito, San Pablo, Pinole, Hercules, Crockett, and Rodeo. At the beginning of the school year, members set personal, school, and career goals, which are reviewed at the end of the school year.
• In June 2015, 100% of our seniors (30 in all) graduated from high school and are attending college. Over 80% of reporting members experienced an improvement in their grades over the course of the school year. Additionally, 120 of our members continued their out of school learning experience all summer long through our summer program.