Meditation is an exercise of mind. It is a process in which one focuses on a particular point and feels the sensations of that particular activity. It is a way of relaxation of the brain. It is very important for mental health as well as for the body of the person all over. It rejuvenates the mind and enhances its capacity to retain facts and think.
Further, it helps in the fluent blood circulation and maintaining blood pressure. It has tremendous benefits for the human body and brain. It connects the person to some positive spiritual power and hence enhances mental activities. It is especially beneficial for the people of today’s world as per the present scenario.
Nowadays all over the world, because of the development and developing phases of the countries people are becoming victims of mental stress and trauma. The problem of mental illness is naturally affecting the lifestyle of the people as well as affecting their working efficiency.
One can see and experience the issues coming up on day to day basis which are hurdles in the way to a happy society and healthy people have become the victim of mental illness. As we all know that most of the action of a person is voluntarily controlled by the brain. So as a matter of fact, if the brain is not healthy and stressed or traumatized then the action will be affected accordingly. The actions ordered by such a sick brain can never be beneficial and positive. Moreover, it affects society on the whole as each member collectively constitutes society. Therefore mental health is very important and being mentally healthy should be the most concerning fact.
Some meditating techniques:
Meditation involves some small steps like deep breathing, relaxation of muscles, body and mind meditation/visualization, etc. Below some of the basic techniques are described in great details:
Deep breathing: – A long deep breath with full concentration is the first step towards the whole process of meditation. It is very useful and important, and it works fast to make you free from the stress burden. Here is how you should do this deep breathing exercise at any place:
- Be comfortable, in other words, sit in a comfortable posture with back straight and put your one hand on the chest and another hand on the stomach.
- Then take a long deep breath so that the hand on your stomach should rise above and the hand that you have kept on your chest should move less.
- Then release the air from your mouth slowly.
- You need to continue this for a few minutes to get stability in your mind so that you can focus on your work with more concentration.
Mindful meditation: – There are times when your mind just stops working and you do not understand what to do in the next moment. Then at that time you just need to relax your mind. You can start with some deep breath and can also take a small walk at any place. This would allow you to come out of the stress for some time so that you can come to a concluding or deciding point when you are confused or so.
Muscle relaxation: – At times when you sit for a longer duration on a chair or work continuously on computers or laptops then your muscles get strained. As a result of which you feel tired and stressed. If you relax your body muscles then you feel relaxed and comfortable. By following ways you can practice body relaxation in few minutes:
- Sit in a comfortable posture with a straight back and lose your shoes and then take deep breaths.
- Next, you need to squeeze tightly the muscle of your right feet and keep holding it for a few seconds.
- Then release it and repeat the same process with your left foot. After you relax the foot muscle after a few seconds then they feel light and you feel good.
Why are the benefits of meditation in today’s world?
The benefits of meditation in today’s world are as follows:
- The first and foremost benefit of meditation is that it reduces stress. As we already know that the life of human beings in the 21st century is not less than a race and they are constantly living under pressure from all sides. As a result of which they feel stressed and suffocated. The level of stress is so much so that people are widely becoming a victim of the depression in today’s world. Mediation is one small step that helps people to think calmly and also reduces stress.
- Many times what happens is that people become a victim of bad circumstances and they become emotionally vulnerable and weak. In such times there are huge changes that they go into the depressing mode. Mediation is helpful in such conditions as well. It gives people the strength to fight with their emotional problems and so makes them strong mentally as well as emotionally.
- Due to stress, there is an increase in anxiety. Anxiety gives rise to many-body problems like high blood pressure and all. It also gives rise to mental issues such as social anxiety, compulsive behaviours, phobias, obsessive behaviours, etc. Anxiety can ruin the life of human beings as due to anxiety people moreover cuts off from society and they start to stay reserved. There are chances that they commit some unnatural activities that are harmful to them. Meditation gives peace of mind and thus reduces anxiety in human beings.
- Meditation allows you to know your inner self better. Mediation allows positive energy to enter your lives so that you become positive. People become very negative and lose hope when they are stressed. So they become very sad and gloomy in their lives. Mediation cools their mind and so it allows them to think positively in life.
- Mediation is also helpful for living a healthy and long life. It is so good that it should be practiced daily by all human beings. It helps them to gain concentration and at the same time makes them mentally, physically and emotionally fit and strong. Thus this provides a long and healthy life to human beings.
- Mediation also helps to regulate the sleeping habits of human beings. Due to stress and anxiety, the sleeping habit of people becomes very disturbed and at some point, they may suffer from problems like memory loss and high blood pressure. If you meditate daily then you can be free from all these problems and your sleeping patterns would also be improved.
2 small meditation exercises that you can practice at your office desk:
Following are the 2 exercises that one can practice even in their office:
- Focus flame: This small meditating technique helps reduce your tension and eye strain due to continuous works in just a few minutes. You just need to follow some simple steps that are mentioned below:
- At first, you need to switch off your computer.
- Then in the next step, you need to light a candle.
- Then put the candle in such a way that they are parallel to your eyes, keep the candle at a distance of 12- 16 inches.
- Concentrate on the flame for a few minutes
- Take deep breathes and exhale the air slowly from your mouth.
- Stress shaker: This small meditating step can also be practiced in office in the following ways:
- Close your eyes
- Take a deep breath
- Shift your focus from the disturbing elements of the mind
- Try to release all the negativity
- Slowly try to feel that you are surrounded by positivity
- Slowly open your eyes
Because of the present lifestyle, even the teenagers are becoming victims of mental trauma, with this condition we cannot take the future of the world for granted. For all these problems meditation is the most simple and natural solution. Nowadays in every educational institution as well as in workplaces certain meditation classes or sessions are being organized by the authorities every week for the members.
As mental health has become a serious contemporary issue. So such actions are important in the way to achieve the goal of a happier and positive world. We can even see the emergence of many meditation centers with a large number of members in it. This very thing shows or indicates the need and significance of meditation in people’s life. Whereas it is appreciable as well on people’s part to give time for this serious issue and work on that for a progressive tomorrow.
At many parts still, we find that mental illness is a taboo where people are struggling with it. So even at such places also we need to come up with such insights and overcome the problems with meditation. For the beginner meditation of 2-3 minutes is enough and one can even meditate while sitting on a chair before starting to work. It does not even take much time and it is very important also.